The Tall Ships Tacoma Festival is truly a community affair. Check out these other events that are being organized in conjunction with the festival.
If you are organizing a community event related to Tall Ships Tacoma 2008, please email your press release to firstname.lastname@example.org (attn: Lorraine) and we will post it on the website.
- Shore Leave, July 3
- Special Cruise for Disabled People, July 6
- Tacoma Summer & Maritime Art Show and Competition 2008, July 3-7 (PDF)
- South Sound Maritime Juried Art Exhibit, June 16-July 18 (PDF)
- Tall Ships and Misty Shores Art Exhibit, Freighthouse Square, July 1-31 (PDF)
- "The Tempest: Tall Ship Love and Caliban's Revenge" June 5 and 6. Hosted by Shakespeare In the Parking Lot. Watch the traditional take on William Shakespeare's "The Tempest" with "Tall Ship Love" a classic tale of love, betrayal and forgiveness. Or catch the sequel to "Tall Ship Love" with "Caliban's Revenge" a tragic comedy of survival. As always Shakespeare In the Parking Lot will engage the audience in the play so be ready to be a duke or a fairy spirit! For more information, www.shakespeareintheparkinglot.org.
- "Tall Ships On Puget Sound" June 9 at 7 p.m. at the Tacoma Public Library (1102 Tacoma Ave. South). This meeting of the Tacoma Historical Society will include a pictorial introduction to Tacoma and regional tall ships history. Features TST volunteer Chuck Fowler, former director of Tacoma's Working Waterfront Maritime Museum and local author. Free admission.
- "Ships, Sailors, and Sounds of the Sea — Celebrating Washington's Maritime History" June 14 at 11 a.m. at the Washington State History Museum (1911 Pacific Ave.). Includes a pictorial history PowerPoint presentation by TST volunteer Chuck Fowler, former director of Tacoma's Working Waterfront Maritime Museum and local author; children's book author Deb Lund ("Dino Sailors"); and a performance by The Shifty Sailors. Free with museum admission.
- "Make Way for Tall Ships." June 2 through Autumn 2008. To celebrate the summer season and the arrival of the tall ships in Tacoma, the Tacoma Art Museum presents a small selection of maritime-themed prints in the Murray Family Event Space. These images, ranging from traditional to abstract, salute life on the water and the people who call it home.
- United Latino Festival 2008. The Gloria comes to the Foss Waterway Aug. 2-3 for this annual festival. www.FestivalLatinoNW.com
- ART CONCEPTS ON BROADWAY presents for TALL SHIPS – 2008 AN EXHIBIT OF NEW OIL PAINTINGS BY MARSHALL JOHNSON Exhibit Dates: July 3rd through August 2nd, 2008. Art Concepts On Broadway is pleased to host an exhibit of Tall Ship paintings by popular Northwest artist, Marshall Johnson. The exhibit will consist of nearly a dozen new oil paintings of various Tall Ships, a few of which will have hints of familiar local backgrounds, such as the Olympic Mountains, Stadium High School and Deception Pass. Johnson, from Federal Way, has achieved a recognizable style and is known for his very colorful palette.